Formation Week 22 ... Concept Drills: Recursion with a Senior Google Engineer

Hello all, this blog post I am actually writing on a Saturday. It's been a good day, watching some football now and playing some Assassins Creed Odyssesy for the first time, it's amazing. Earlier today @ 3PM I had a session in Formation about recursion. I like the concept of Recursion, at least I think I do. Recursion is when you call a function that then-- calls that same function again, and at each call of this function, you have some cool things that can happen. This concept is not so friendly when we pay for Space Complexity, because the 'recursive stack frames' stack on top of each other like pancakes. Our session went well, I really enjoy this Google Senior Engineer, it's the second or third time I've had the humble experience of working with him. Today, I got a 'poor' rating for my session performance, but that is good, I need to get better. I felt like today, my ignorance may have aggravated his patience a tad bit, sometimes I have a hard time asking what I intend to ask or I may be digging too deep on something, I feel. My fiancee does it with me, she wants to KNOW IT ALL about every little thing, it's a good weapon, if used sparingly, I believe. However, he taught me some valuable lessons about this concept, we worked on the Fibonacci sequence, I referred to this as a list, which was incorrect, while trying to explain my algorithm I folded like a lawn chair, trying to make my ideas easy to understand. However, our mentor, his name was Prakhar, corrected and taught me the proper ways to do and say things. It was a nice Saturday session with 2 other fellows, and I think it was very productive for my Saturday. I'll return to code on Monday, and update you guys on this amazing journey of learning Computer Science! :) Here's a code snippet from earlier today with Recursion.... We did it in JavaScript, so that was good practice, as I've switched to Python recently. Oh yea, the new Formation update is really really effective, I will write about it in my next blog, since I do not want this to become a TLDR!! For the people who read my crap, I really appreciate you! My writing will get better, I promise =0
Code snippet from earlier - Recursion

Comments