Formation Fellowship begins... (Week 16)

Hello world! In this journey of tranisition into tech, let me tell you, it's a hell of a ride, the best roller coaster you've ever ridden. Last week, I struggled to find comfortable ground in my progress on DSA. As I realize my Google interview is coming closer by the day. One day, I come home from work, and realize that I have a meeting today (Google Calender). This interview is with a website I had visited for reference materials in order to help me understand DSA. I stumbled upon this resource from the Google Interview Preparation e-mail, they had sent me a few weeks ago. I had no clue what this website was about, I just printed out the DSA documentation and got the studying, then I never returned to the website, but I did e-mail or reach out to someone within the organization asking if anyone could help me learn DSA! Haha... I ended up scheduling this meeting with a guy named Chris Bakes. The day of the zoom meeting that we had scheduled, I still did not completely understand Formation, or their purpose or mission. The meeting started, I figured let's see what this is about, I've been holding zoom meetings the past month with people that I met connect with or find through researching the web. Most of these meetings were not fit for me, some were valuable, but I am in this sponge mindset of soaking any and everything I can, from experience folks, who can help me learn DSA. Chris Bakes, the recruiter from Formation, arrived right on time, sharp! I loved that. He was ready, and I was ready, I just had to connect my Google Buds to my PC. Now, I had checked the LinkedIn of Chris, after I seen the emails from him. He's the first person I've ever spoke to, from the Ivy League. You guys don't know but I am a huge FAN of the Ivy League. Brightest minds on the planet. So during the interview, he's very laid back and cool, professional, good looking guy, resembled Tom Cruise or Adam Levine. He's asking me questions, really really good questions, questions that I want people to ask me, but normally no one's interested. Let's remember, I still have no clue what Formation is, but I put on my best behavior to present myself as someone who is not joking about this, this stuff is serious business and I mean business, I want to learn, I love this stuff, this is me. That all went perfectly fine, at times, I felt like I blabbled on too much, and apologized, Chris waved it off smoothly, I could feel the heed that he took, and the way he listened and observed me, his questions and thinking were very copasetic. I'm like this guy is way too smart to be talking to me, what is this? He then tells me about Formation and I become really curious, as I wanted to start reading more on their website, but I remained locked in on Chris. We had a good conversation and feeling out of each other for 30 mins or so? 40 min? And he went on to his next interview. He sent me this assessment, and said he could help me with my Google Interview, the fellowship can help. I took my son to get his haircut, when I returned I tried my best. I e-mailed Chris when I completed the assessment, feeling like they were probably laughing at my answer choices! Haha... I emailed Chris and apologized about my bombing of the test. Chris, replies and tells me I actually did really well and they want to accept me into the Formation Fellowship as a Full Stack Engineer fellow. I go tell Sharon, and she sheds some tears, and I think this is really happening? Now, I've had some letdowns with bootcamps, schooling, etc, just basically trying to make the transition into tech. So, now I am learning everything about Formation, and everything is what I dreamed off. I start my onboarding on the 5th of July, and my class starts on the 11th of July. My blog will now shift to this journey of development, and at the end of it, the fellowship will help me get a job!! BOOOYAAAHH!!! God is good, and Chris is the man! I sent him an emotional thank you letter, and he responded with humility. What I have learned about Formation is, first, they are the best in their fields, but they created a Fellowship, not a bootcamp, and I can explain the difference in both, if anyone is interested, as I am experience it through real life; Formation is a fellowship of FAANG level Engineers who teach small groups of aspiring engineers to be professional, they teach us in small groups of 3, week in and week out, and then they get us FAANG level interviews, and they have an alumni and network of Fellows who are like family. So far this is what it seems.... you guys might want to check in and see how my journey will go! I have 100% faith in Formation, I am Formation for life, I am all locked in. I am so blessed, and this will be life changing for anyone who knows me. Chris gave us a shot! Thank you Chris ;) Also, I cancelled my Google interview, instead I will follow the lead of Formation and learn from the pro's. My top three job interest changed as well from this...
    Top 3 Dream Jobs
  • Meta
  • Google
  • Microsoft
Yes Meta steals the top spot over Google, mainly because most of my fellowship comes from Meta, at least the Founders, and I also read Meta's mission statement and that also aligns with my goals as a Software Developer. I will start learning Java on Udacity, taking the Intro to Java course! Chris said I could start with that or either Python, but I never played with Java so, I am anxious to begin. I will do 3 hours of it tonight, to start off. Anyhow, I can't make my posts TLDR; so I will have to end this short! THANK YOU FORMATION! <3 YOU CHRIS!
Formation https://www.formation.dev

Comments